Publications for 2014
RSAP RESIDENT RESEARCH RESULTS 2014
- Sfeir M, Najem C. Cerebellitis Associated with Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, 2013, United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2014 Sep; 20(9):1578-80; PMID:25153508.
- Sfeir M, Munoz-Price LS. Scabies and Bedbugs in Hospital Outbreaks. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2014 Jun; 16(8): 412 (1-6). Cited in PubMed; PMID: 24897948.
- Najem C, Sfeir M, Estrada E, Mbuyi N, Valicenti D, Reginato A.. An Unusual Case of Hematuria. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2014 Feb; 66(7): 1119-1126. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 24578326.
- Ramidial, J. (2014) ASH Program Committee has selected your abstract for poster presentation at the 56th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition as detailed below: TITLE: Disparities Between Patient and Hematology/Oncology Physician Expectations for Integrative Oncology in an Ethnically Diverse Population Session Name: 902. Health Services and Outcomes Research – Malignant Diseases: Poster II. Society for Integrative Oncology 2014 Conference Scientific Review Committee.
- Fernandez, Karen (2014). “Malignancy in Disguise: A Case of Paraneoplastic Syndrome in Renal Cell Carcinoma Mimicking Adult Onset Still’s Disease.” Presented at ACP Florida Chapter 2014 Annual Residents Meeting Clinical Vignette Competition (February 2014)
Corral JE, Yarur AJ, Diaz L, Simmons O, Sussman DA. Cross-sectional analysis of patient phone calls to an inflammatory bowel disease clinic . Under review at Gastroenterology journal.
- Garcia DC, Nascimento R1, Soto V, Mendoza CE. (2014). A rare native mitral valve endocarditis successfully treated after surgical correction. PMID: 25270154
- Cardoso RN, Macedo FY, Garcia MN, Garcia DC, Benjo AM, Aguilar D, Jneid H, Bozkurt B. (2014) Chagas cardiomyopathy is associated with higher incidence of stroke: a meta-analysis of observational studies. J Card Fail. 2014 Dec;20(12):931-8. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2014.09.003. Epub 2014 Sep 16. PMID: 25230241
- Juan M. Marques-Lespier, Vanessa Méndez, Katerina Freyre, Yaritza Díaz-Algori, Marievelisse Soto-Salgado, Luis R. Pericchi-Guerra, Marcia R. Cruz- Correa. (2014) Prevalence of Synchronous Oligopolyposis in Hispanics with Incident Colorectal Cancer. Puerto Rico Health Sciences Journal, Volume 33.
- LaConti, J., Kim, TK., Whittington, E., Ding, N., Dinh, V., Khushman, M., Umar, S., Gluck, S. Metastatic seminoma presenting as enlarging retroperitoneal mass in a patient with Neurofibromatosis I. Journal of Clinical Case Reports. 2014 Jul; 4(6): 1-5.
- LaConti, J., Laiakis, E., Deslattes Mays, A., Peran, I., Cheema, A., Fornace Jr., A., Wellstein, A. Distinct serum metabolomics profiles associated with malignant progression in the Kras(G12D) model of pancreatic duct adenocarcinoma. BMC Genomics. 2014 Jul; Accepted.
- Gomez, A., LaConti, J., Powell, A. (2014). Sub-acute St. Louis post-infection encephalitis in an HIV positive patient. Poster presented at: Florida Medical Association, David Paulus Poster Symposium; Orlando, FL.
- Sendzischew MA, Vieregge GB1, Green DF, Contreras GN, Zeng X, Nayer A. (2014) Plasma exchange for concurrent lupus nephritis and antiphospholipid syndrome. Clin Kidney J. 2014 Feb;7(1):86-9. doi: 10.1093/ckj/sft150. PMID: 25859362
- Ruiz JG, Andrade AD, Anam R, Lisigurski M, Karanam C, Sharit J. Computer-based Programmed Instruction did not Improve the Knowledge Retention of Medication Instructions of Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. The Diabetes Educator. 2014 Jan; 40(1):77-88. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 24168837. Publication Status: Published.
- Sharit J, Lisigurski M, Andrade AD, Karanam C, Nazi KM, Lewis JR, Ruiz JG. The Roles of Health Literacy, Numeracy, and Graphical Literacy on the Usability of the VA’s Personal Health Record by Veterans. Journal of Usability Studies. 2014 Aug; 9(4): 173-193. Publication Status: Published.
- Rodríguez V, Andrade AD, García-Retamero R, Anam R, Rodríguez R, Lisigurski M, Sharit J, Ruiz JG. Health literacy, numeracy, and graphical literacy among veterans in primary care and their effect on shared decision making and trust in physicians. J Health Commun. 2013;18 Suppl 1:273-89. Publication Status: Published.
- Sfeir M.,Tysiak M., Rosa R., LoKa M., Abbo L. (2014). Clinical Outcomes of Mycobacterium abscessus Infections in Miami, Florida. Poster presented at the Residents Abstract Competition at the Florida Chapter American College of Physicians 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting, August 22 – 24, 2014 at the Hyatt Pier Sixty-Six , in Ft Lauderdale, FL
- Sfeir M.,Tysiak M., Rosa R., LoKa M., Abbo L. (2014). Mycobacterium abscessus Infections in Immunocompromized Patients in Miami. Poster presented at: São Paulo School of Advanced Science on Transplant Infectious Diseases (SPSAS-TID), October 19-24; São Paolo, Brazil.
- Sfeir M., Hooton T. (2014). Clinical Laboratory Practices in Speciating Organisms and Reporting Results of Voided Urine Cultures. Poster presented at: IDWeek 2014, October 8-12, 2014 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center; Philadelphia, PA.
- Sfeir M., Tysiak M., Rosa R., LoKa M., Abbo L. (2014). Clinical Outcomes of Mycobacterium abscessus Infections in Miami, Florida. Poster presented at: IDWeek 2014, October 8-12, 2014 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center; Philadelphia, PA.
- Najem C.,Sfeir M. (2014). A Mysterious Case of Hematuria. Poster presented at: ACP National meeting; Orlando, FL.
- Sfeir M., Ding N., Symes S. (2014). Blinded by Lues. Poster presented at: ACP clinical vignette competition for the Florida chapter 2014 Annual Residents & Students Meeting- March 1-2/2014; Orlando, FL.
- Sfeir M., Mokhbat J. (2013). Prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus Methicillin-Sensitive and Methicillin-Resistant Nasal and Pharyngeal Colonization in Outpatients in Lebanon. Poster presented at: IDSA meeting; San Francisco, CA.
- Rosa, R., Wawrzyniak, A., Sfeir, M., Smith,L., Abbo, L. (2013). Management of Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia: Room for Improvement. Poster presented at: IDSA meeting; San Francisco, CA.
- Corral JE, Yarur AJ, Diaz L, Simmons O, Sussman DA. Wake-up call – an analysis of patient phone calls to an inflammatory bowel disease clinic. (Poster presentation) 5/4/14. Digestive Disease Week 2014. Chicago, IL.
- Corral JE, Delgado-Hurtado JJ, Domínguez RL, Valdez de Cuéllar M, Balmore-Cruz C, Morgan DR. The descriptive epidemiology of gastric cancer in Central America and comparison with U. S. Hispanic populations. (Poster presentation) 5/5/14. Digestive Disease Week 2014. Chicago, IL.
- Corral JE, Kataria R, Vickers D, Koutouby R, Moshiree B. Pelvic floor dyssynergia causing constipation in a patient with Prader-Willi syndrome. (Poster presentation) 10/19/14. ACG Annual Scientific Meeting. Philadelphia, PA.
- Corral JE, Yarur AJ, Diaz L, Garcia-Buitrago MT, Sussman DA. A case of severe sprue-like enteropathy associated with olmesartan. (Poster presentation) 10/19/14. ACG Annual Scientific Meeting. Philadelphia, PA.
- Barkin JA, Sendzischew MA, Landy DC, Moshiree B. Upper Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Medical Professionals: A Higher Burden? Poster presented at ACG Annual Scientific Meeting: 2014 October 17-22; Philadelphia, PA
- Sharit, J., Andrade, AD., Lisigurski, M., Karanam, C., Ruiz, JG. (2013). Examining Veterans Attitudes about and Abilities to Use the VAs My healtheVet System. Poster Presentation presented at: National VA Research Week 2013; Miami, FL.
Shimose L.,Masuda E., Sfeir M., Berbel Caban A., Munoz-Price L.S. (2014). Acinetobacter baumannii: Concomitant Contamination of Air and Environmental Surfaces Based on the Anatomic Source of Colonization. Oral Presentation presented at: IDWeek 2014, October 8-12, 2014 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center; Philadelphia, PA.
- Fernandez, Karen (2014) “Adherence to Cirrhosis Guidelines in the Miami VA Medical Center”. Presented March 5, 2014
- Sendzischew MA, Barkin JA, Bhana H, Vickers D, Castillo RP, Moshiree B. (2014) Utility of MRI Defecography After Manometry in the Diagnosis and Management of Constipation and Fecal incontinence.
- Lisigurski M. “Evaluation of frailty or elderly patient at the Miami VA”. (2014) Protocol was presented and acceopted by the IRB. Study was hold as I was transferred to other rotation. Study would be completed during my Fellowship on Geriatrics.
- Andres Yarur, Vanessa Mendez, Liege Diaz, Maria Abreu, Daniel A. Sussman. Daniel. Submitted to ACG Poster Session 2014. Do optimal anti-tumor necrosis factor levels influence vitamin D levels or metabolic bone disease in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases?
- Vanessa Mendez. (2014) Adherence to Cirrhosis Guidelines in a Veterans Medical Center: a Quality Improvement Project. Developed retrospective study, performed literature review on cirrhosis guidelines, data collection, and in the process of developing EHR CPRS template for patients discharged with diagnosis of cirrhosis.
- Daniel A. Sussman , Vanessa Mendez. 2012-2014 Molecular Characteristics of Colorectal Cancer in the Underserved Population of South Florida. Performed chart review and data collection. IRB approved.
- Maria T. Abreu, Vanessa Mendez, David Kerman, Daniel A. Sussman, Ivonne Schulman, Heidi Bahna, Enrique Souto, Joshua Hare . (2014) A Phase I, Pilot Trial to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Injection of Allogeneic Mesenchymal Bone-Marrow Derived Human Stem Cells in Patients With Fistulizing Crohn’s Disease.. University of Miami Hospital. Performed literature review, protocol writing and development. Submitted to IRB.
- Daniel A. Sussman, Vanessa Mendez, Laurence Sands, Heidi Bahna. (2014) Point-of-Care Testing for Colorectal Cancer with digital rectal examination-based fecal immunochemical testing. Involved in survey development, IRB application writing and submission. IRB approved